As promised, here’s the follow up to my Cellar Rat Attire post! I have been itching to write this one as I’ve been through much trial and error with what to put on my face in my new position as a winery “Cellar Rat.”
I will readily admit, I happen to be the kind of gal who enjoys a little concealer under her eyes and a little color in her cheeks (otherwise I get asked, often in horror: “Lexy, oh my gosh, are you okay? You look sick!”) when I’m just…natural.
Hey! I woke up like this! (And it’s not pretty.)
(I have a nice husband.)
Hey – it’s okay! Sometimes we need a little help from our makeup-friends.
As mentioned in my last post, I spend most of my days covered in water (or wine). Too many times I’ve applied mascara, only to have it stream down my face five minutes into starting work. A wet cellar rat is even more unfortunate than a dry cellar rat. And even worse than a wet cellar rat is a wet, raccoon cellar rat.
As our winery, vineyards, and lifestyle become more and more sustainable, I’m in the process of switching over all of my household and beauty products to clean, non-toxic ones. The FDA only bans 30 chemicals from household and beauty products whereas the European Union bans 1,300. That’s an astonishing difference! After reading a lot of literature on the subject, I’ve decided to make the switch, as best I can, to “clean beauty”. As I run out of products, I’ve been slowly replacing my toxic items with clean ones. It’s a process to figure out what natural ones work best, but I’m on a mission!
Here are my top choices (and a few bonus ideas from my nighttime routine):
- You must always begin your day with sunscreen. There are no excuses…it’s just so easy now! I’ve got a few favorite sunscreen products, but I have to suggest this do-it-all CC Cream from Supergoop. It’s a clean sunscreen that doubles as a foundation (as it seems to have more coverage than a tinted moisturizer). It makes your skin softer and smoother with a blend of apple extract, Irish moss, and red seaweed extract. I don’t know what Irish moss and red seaweed are…but I love the product. The only sad news is I’m in between two shades: Fair Light and Light. So I bought both (ouch ouch ouch – thank goodness for the yearly Sephora sale) and mix them together for the perfect Lexy color!
- Speaking of Sunscreen, this SPF 30 Powder Brush on Block is my go-to for a little extra boost of sunscreen as the day wears on. I’ve tried countless types of powder sunscreens, but this one is the easiest to use, and they make refills to cut down on waste. (Yay!)
- Speaking of MORE Sunscreen (yep…the love affair continues): I love this mineral-rich Supergoop SPF 37 Eye Cream. This anti-aging eye cream is packed with squalene and oat peptides to combat fine lines. The cool-tip applicator massages the eye area too. (Hint: keep this in the fridge for an extra de-puffing under-eye boost!)
- Hynt Concealer is the closest “clean” beauty dupe I’ve found for my beloved “It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye” concealer. I tried the popular RMS concealer but it was too thin for my cavernous dark circles. (Thanks, Mom!) Hynt’s concealer is full coverage (yay!) non-drying (yay!) and delivers a non-cakey look (triple yay!). Botanical extracts and oils make it smooth when applied and all you need is a wee dab.
- It’s taken me awhile to find the perfect “clean” waterproof mascara, but I give you: Eyeko Eyeliner Sport. It’s incredibly waterproof (which is HIGHLY necessary to avoid that raccoon look) and gives me great volume and curl. I’m in love!
- The Ilia Multi Stick in Tenderly has replaced my staple Mabelline blush stick. It’s made with cocoa butter and sunflower oil, with and it’s the perfect shade of pink! I swipe this on my cheeks, rub it in, and swipe it on my lips too! Multi-use indeed!
- There’s really nothing that can be done for wine-stained nails…but I use this nail brush and rub a multi-purpose Marula oil at into my cuticles before bed. (Hint: you can use this oil many different ways: on your nails, hair, and face for a moisture boost!)
- If I’m lazy, I take the day off with an Ursa Major wipe, OR (if I’m feeling a bit more luxurious) this Farmacy Melt-away Cleanser. After rubbing my eyes gently with the balm, it removes even waterproof eye makeup – no cotton pads needed! Genius. (If you don’t use waterproof eye makeup another suggestion to take the day off is the Osea Ocean Cleanser (it smells so good)!
- After cleansing, I apply this Indie Lee CoQ10 Toner I got as a sample (thank you Follain – more on this company below!) and I love it. It removes excess oil while delivering powerful antioxidants and moisturizing hyaluronic acid. Here’s where I need cotton pads…and I love these reusable ones. They come with a little mesh baggie you can toss in with your laundry! No more waste!
- Lastly, I slather on this Ursa Major Face Cream cream (generally mixed in with the Marula oil) to hydrate my skin for the next morning.
I have a couple favorite sources that sell clean and natural beauty products, but my favorite is Follain. Out of all the companies I have bought clean products from, they do the most in-depth research and testing of the products they sell, and have curated a strict list of chemicals they ban from products sold by their company. Love!
P.S. Here’s a BONUS for getting all the way to the end of this article: a code for 15% off your first purchase from Follain: just type in the code ref15_l67yii during check out!
This post contains affiliate links.